Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Hi Secret Pal

Hi Secret Pal - It's so nice to "meet" you! Here's some info about me:
1. What is/are your favorite yarn/s to knit with? What fibers do you absolutely *not* like?
I've been doing a lot of socks. So, I love sock yarn. If I had to name one overall favorite fiber, I would have to say Alpaca - Yum! I like all natural fibers and dyed yarns in unique colors.

2. What do you use to store your needles/hooks in?
I have a fold over bag for my needles and notions.

3. How long have you been knitting? Would you consider your skill level to be beginner, intermediate or advanced?
I've been knitting for over 15 years, but I took 11 years off while my son was younger (he's 12 now.) I started back in December 2004 and went CRAZY.

4. Do you have an Amazon or other online wish list?
Yes

5. What's your favorite scent? (for candles, bath products etc.)
Cinnamon, Vanilla, Pumpkin spice, apple pie

6. Do you have a sweet tooth? Favorite candy?
There's just nothing like dark chocolate!

7. What other crafts or Do-It-Yourself things do you like to do? Do you spin?
I play the piano. I like to draw, but haven't done it in a long time. I don't spin, but really love watching other people do it.

8. What kind of music do you like? Can your computer/stereo play MP3s? (if your buddy wants to make you a CD)
I have an iPod. I like all kinds of music. But, I favor alternative rock.

9. What's your favorite color? Or--do you have a color family/season/palette you prefer? Any colors you just can't stand?
I love most colors in the right combination. I tend to gravitate to purple and green.

10. What is your family situation? Do you have any pets?
I have a husband, Doug and a son, Alex. We have a yorkie named Lucy, a lovable cat named Linus, and a fish named Bucky.

11. Do you wear scarves, hats, mittens or ponchos?
I wear all of the above when I'm in Maine. Here in Florida, it's a little toasty for mittens and hats.

12. What is/are your favorite item/s to knit?
I dubbed this the year of the sock. But, I also love felting bags. Sweaters are great, too. I go through many different knitting moods. I would like to knit a lace shawl in the near future.

13. What are you knitting right now?
Socks, a felted bag, sleeveless summer sweater

14. Do you like to receive handmade gifts?
Absolutely...doesn't everyone? There is nothing more valuable than a person's time.

15. Do you prefer straight or circular needles? Bamboo, aluminum, plastic?
I use straight rosewood or bamboo DPNs. Love Addi Turbo circulars.

16. Do you own a yarn winder and/or swift?
I plan to get one soon.

17. How did you learn to knit?
My mom taught me years ago. But, she couldn't work patterns, so I made a lot of long scarves. I took lessons in my 20's.

18. How old is your oldest UFO?
1 year old

19. What is your favorite holiday?
Christmas

20. Is there anything that you collect?
Yarn

21. Any books, yarns, needles or patterns out there you are dying to get your hands on? What knitting magazine subscriptions do you have?
I don't subscribe to any magazines. I'd rather check them out and buy if there's a pattern I like. There are a few books on my wish list. But, I have a HUGE backlog of patterns I'd like to try in the books I already have. I would love to get a hold of a book that had interested heel patterns for socks. I haven't seen such a thing.

22. Are there any new techniques you'd like to learn?
I would like to learn to spin and dye.

23. Are you a sock knitter? What are your foot measurements?
You bet. Size 7.5 US.

24. When is your birthday? (mm/dd)
November 3.

2 Comments:

At 2:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Secret Pal!
I got your name and info. I'll be sending to you, so I really enjoyed reading your blog to get to know more about you. I've just begun a blog of my own at knitnstitch.blogspot.com

I found you and I have some very similar interests. I'll also try to answer the questions posted on your blog.

1. I like all fibers, but don't particularly enjoy working with ladder yarns.

2. I have a clear plastic box with dividers for my needles and notions. Most of my larger needles don't fit in it, so they're kept with my current project in a large fabric tote. I plan to make a felted needle case for them eventually.

3. I consider myself a beginning knitter. I learned to crochet as a child. A friend taught me to knit scarves (knit stitch only) in Dec. 2004. Since then I've been hooked on knitting! I still haven't learned much more than scarves and wraps, but I'm determined.

4. No, I don't have an online wish list.

5. My favorite scent for bath products is cucumber and melon. My second favorite must be lavender, which I grow in my garden.

6. Hershey's Special Dark - FROZEN - is one of the greatest gifts a woman can give herself!

7. I cross stitch, crochet and garden (both flowers and vegetables).

8. I also favor alternative rock. Lots of great bands play in Charlotte. One of the latest was Fall Out Boy. The last CD I bought was Blue October's Foiled. I listen to the full spectrum of alternative rock, including Nine Inch Nails to Anna Nalick and Ana Johnsson.

9. I love earth tones, mostly greens and browns. I'm currently hooked on the lime/aqua contrast, and I like the lime/aqua/brown combination.

10. My partner and I have 5 grown children (she has 3, I have 2) and we share 2 dogs and 4 cats. I also have 2 granddaughters and a grandson, but none live close by.

11. I love scarves, hats, mittens and gloves. I knit myself some fingerless mits, and will one day make myself a poncho.

12. So far all I've knit are scarves and wraps. I started a sock, but got messed up on the heel. I ripped it all out, and started over.

13. I was working on that sock until I had to have hand surgery this week.

14. LOVE the handmade gifts. You're right, there's nothing like it.

15. I love bamboo needles. I've found the slight "catch" on the circulars a bit annoying, but I've never tried Addi Turbos.

16. No, I don't have a yarn winder or swift.

17. Another cashier at my part time job taught me the knit stitch so I could make some FAST christmas gifts for co-workers. I can't thank her enough.

18. My oldest UFO is a cross stitch piece I started 3-4 years ago.

19. My favorite holiday is hard to choose. It used to be halloween, but since converting to Judaism I've found some fantastic celebrations/festivals.

20. A better question would be, "Is there anything you DON'T collect?" I'm a packrat by nature. I have rooms full of fabric (quilting), yarn (knit/crochet), fibers/threads (cross stitch), CDs, etc. I'm a top notch collector. I even collect shot glasses from all over the world, including Kuwait and Amsterdam.

21. I get Interweave Knits by subscription, but buy several knit mags off the shelf.

22. Techniques I'd like to learn? Intarsia, modular knitting, many others. I have lots of learning ahead of me.

23. I'm anxious to get back to my first pair of handknit socks. It's a challenge, but I'd love to make socks as gifts before long.

24. September 13

 
At 9:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Super color scheme, I like it! Keep up the good work. Thanks for sharing this wonderful site with us.
»

 

Post a Comment

<< Home