Sunday, April 23, 2006

BAKG Retreat Weekend in New York



I just returned from the Big Apple Knitting Guild Retreat at the beautiful St. Ignatius Retreat Center in Manhasset, NY. This is one of my favorite trips of the year. I took the Flower Making Class with Nicky Epstein. She was very sweet and fun. I picked up her two latest books, Nicky Epstein's Flowers and Nicky Epstein's Felted Bags. Tatyana Mirer taught "Flip Flap Mittens" on Saturday and "Crochet on Knit" this morning. She is truly an artist. I was in the middle of the first mitten. The baby cable was done in 5 rows, the fifth being the twist row. Well, in my absolute brilliance, I started doing row 5 on every row. Boy, was I on a roll. I didn't notice the mistake until I had done it for 7 rounds. DUH! I was mortified. Rather than frog back seven rows, Tatyana was able to pull off just the twisted cable stitches and repair SEVEN ROWS without taking the rest of the good stitches off the needles. I was in complete AWE. As for the crochet, I'm hoping to knit a tank and add a similar crochet edging on the bottom. Cool.

3 Comments:

At 12:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It seems you had such a wonderful and productive weekend at the Retreat Center! Yay for Tatyana for being the queen of repairs, so great that she saved you from frogging all those rows! Love the mitt, by the way!

 
At 9:15 AM, Blogger Mimi said...

It was such a fun knitting retreat. I am so envious of you...;) Oh i like all the projects you made, the flower, gloves and the crochet sampler.

Wendy, thanks for the nice comments on my last post!

 
At 7:31 PM, Blogger The A.D.D. Knitter said...

Sounds like so much fun!! Isn't it great when mistakes aren't as catastophic as they intially appear...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home